Graphic Scores

Score finally finished for London Concert

Tuesday, January 27th, 2009 | Building Things, Graphic Scores, Live Shows | No Comments

After nearly melting my computer and my brain the score is complete, rendered, compiled, and compressed ready for tomorrow (27th Jan 09). It’s too late to go into the details now but if you are interested leave a comment and I’ll try and fill you in. The show is Time Out’s pick of the week and the night starts at 8:00pm and costs £5 – Charlie Wright’s International, 45 Pitfield St, N1 6DA, Old Street Tube. More details here.

Take care,

Leafcutter John x.

Tags: ,

Premiere of my first Graphical Score Piece! Jan 27th, London N1

Saturday, January 10th, 2009 | Graphic Scores, Live Shows, Processing | 4 Comments

I was very happy to be asked to play at the January Kammer Klang. It’s put on by Lucy who often plays cello in the Leafcutter band. For this event i’ll be premiering an animated graphical score which i’m currently working on – more about that in a moment. The score will be projected and interpreted by the Kammer Klang string quarted – exciting!! 

I’ll also be playing a solo set which I think will be processed bowed guitar and other sound sources but don’t quote me on that. See flyer for all the commings and goings of the night (Oh and I think this will be the first and last time I get billed above Steve Reich)

I mentioned earlier that i’m currently working on the score which as yet does not have a name. The idea is that I’m going to document the making of the score here. So far I have been drawing the score out in Inkscape (an Open Source vector graphics editor a bit like Illustrator) and I’m going to use Processing to animate the SVG files into a seamlessly scrolling score. I’ll post soon with more details.

Here is a peek at the what I have so far (click to enlarge):




10000 hairs in Processing

Saturday, January 10th, 2009 | Building Things, Graphic Scores, Processing | 3 Comments

I’m getting very into learning Processing at the moment, as you can see from the video today I spent making different kinds of hairs… I’m working on making some graphical scores at the moment and this is part of the research for that project. 

This sketch started of with me trying to simulate the motion of a field of wheat, it mutated throughout the course of the day into a glitchy turbulent hair monster. Actually the way ideas can develop in processing is really nice and once you have a certain level of understanding things can progress very quickly. I’ve been learning Processing for about 3 weeks and am really happy with my progress so far. The Processing book by Casey Reas and Ben Fry has been a great help and I highly recommend it.

CODE UPDATE: I just realised that the following code runs much much faster using the OPENGL renderer I’d recommend making the following code change.

size(600, 600);
size(600, 600, OPENGL);

and you’ll need to add:
import processing.opengl.*;
at the start of the code. Each hair in the program is comprised of 7 lines. There are 10000 hairs (70,000) lines so it’s not surprising the frame rate is a little slow! I can get reasonable frame rates on my machine by using OPENGL and lowering the hair count to 5000 (which is still 35,000 lines per fame). There is still room for optimisation…

Click HERE to download the code for the project.

p.s. the quality of the youtube vid is quite bad – this is a still from the uncompressed movie:


All best,

Leafcutter John

Social Links


For you YOUTUBE VIDEO pleasure