Open Music Archive presents
Friday 30 July
77-82 Whitechapel High Street
London E1 7QX
8pm – 11pm
£7 (£6 concessions)
out-of-copyright versions of songs from Harry Smith’s Anthology of American Folk Music
covered, reworked and remixed
featuring exclusive Parallel Anthology sets by:
out-of-copyright/copyleft Open Music Archive DJ set
The 1952 release of Harry Smith’s Anthology of American Folk Music was a compilation bringing together a selection of Smith’s personal collection of 78rpm folk records. As such, it was effectively a bootleg and operated under the legal radar until it was digitised, re-mastered and fully licensed in 1997. The recordings in the anthology are those from the early days of the record industry, a time which saw the establishment of a system that fixed collectively-authored folk lyrics and melodies to individual authors in an attempt to control the flow of this previously fluid cultural material.
Artists Eileen Simpson and Ben White have collected alternative public domain versions of anthology recordings not closed down by copyright; from non-attributed folk versions, to commercial recordings whose proprietary interests have expired.
For this event musicians and producers have been invited to perform new covers and remixes of the collected material for a night of plugged and unplugged performances.
The project re-envisages Smith’s anthology as a series of nodes in a larger network and employs a kind of sonic virology – tracing songs across spatial and temporal distances. A parallel collection is proposed: a new roots and future anthology, collecting and generating rich material that remains open for use and reuse.
Free Parallel Anthology source CD gift will be presented on entry.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
"Hi, I'm a professional BeDazzler"
Special Cafe Oto Show Tuesday 4th June, read it here: http://t.co/lPSjprwAIB
@dangusset I have no idea.
Total blast from the past, a 2005 remix I'd completely forgotten about just turned up on youtube. http://t.co/ZgzRZ5LWIn
- Special Cafe Oto Show Tuesday 4th June
- Thursday May 23rd @ Troyganic Café, 132 Kingsland Road, LONDON, E2 8DY
- Vietnam Day 3 Field recording with Richard Eigner and Workshop with Vietnamese Musicians
- Hanoi Score workshop and Scooter ride including Vietnam’s most controversial Fruit! (Day 2)
- Arrived in Hanoi! (Day 1)
- Building Things
- feather study
- field recording
- Graphic Scores
- Live Shows
- Polar Bear
- Site News
- Software News
- The Making of the 5th Leafcutter Album
- Things Thought
- video tutorial
- Weekly DIY Music Thing
- cheap life insurance without exam on Final Cafe Oto concert of 2010, 21st December
- kevin on Acoustic Guitar – Completing the Sound-Box
- Video chat live free on Vietnam Day 3 Field recording with Richard Eigner and Workshop with Vietnamese Musicians
- Theodore on Vietnam Day 3 Field recording with Richard Eigner and Workshop with Vietnamese Musicians
- feedbooks.com on Vietnam Day 3 Field recording with Richard Eigner and Workshop with Vietnamese Musicians