Here is the first ‘Weekly Music Thing’! In the video I take a look at how a cheap laser pointer and a solar cell can be turned into a remarkable optical microphone. I say microphone, but I think that might not actually be the correct description as a microphone converts sound into electricity where as the laser mic turns light into electricity via the solar cell. It’s more of a Phosophone! Watch the following video for what you’ll need to build it, and I show a few ways it can be used too. I particularly like the fact that you can create sound bouncing the laser off a vibrating or moving surface. Used like this patterns of light and dark create audible tones. It’s supremely simple, fun and cheap which makes it a winner in my book. Have fun and don’t point the laser in your (or anybody’s) eye holes!
Let me know if you find this at all interesting and I’ll do some more….
Some sound highlights from the video
22 Comments to Weekly Music Thing No. 1 : Laser Microphone
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
"Hi, I'm a professional BeDazzler"
Special Cafe Oto Show Tuesday 4th June, read it here: http://t.co/lPSjprwAIB
@dangusset I have no idea.
Total blast from the past, a 2005 remix I'd completely forgotten about just turned up on youtube. http://t.co/ZgzRZ5LWIn
- Building Things
- feather study
- field recording
- Graphic Scores
- Live Shows
- Polar Bear
- Site News
- Software News
- The Making of the 5th Leafcutter Album
- Things Thought
- video tutorial
- Weekly DIY Music Thing
- kevin on Acoustic Guitar – Completing the Sound-Box
- Video chat live free on Vietnam Day 3 Field recording with Richard Eigner and Workshop with Vietnamese Musicians
- Theodore on Vietnam Day 3 Field recording with Richard Eigner and Workshop with Vietnamese Musicians
- feedbooks.com on Vietnam Day 3 Field recording with Richard Eigner and Workshop with Vietnamese Musicians
- Jase on Software