Sometimes making music is so much fun you wonder why anyone would ever do anything else! I was asked to remix Origamibiro’s ‘Quad Time & The Genius of The Crowd’ and had a ball giving it a thorough Leafcutterising. I really enjoyed working on the Origamibiro material and was extra specially exited to use my field recording of an eccentric man commenting on the look of my microphone’s wind protector.
I used lot’s of outdoor field recordings to try and give this a summery feel, I think it worked?! If you have an opinion the track leave a comment on soundcloud or here, it’s all ways interesting to hear what you think.
Yep the remixes are coming thick and fast, I’m impressed by the quality and the speed at which you managed to make them!
I’ve not had chance to really listen to them yet as i’m still on tour and have been in the back of a van for 98% of the last week.
All the mixes are at the end of THIS post!
If you’d like to make a mix you have until 30th April to submit it – details in download pack.
Just before I head out on tour with Polar Bear I want to let you know that the files are now up for the Remix Competition.
Included in the download you’ll find all the stems from the MicroSong ‘Big Black Eyes’
They are encoded as good quality MP3′s.
Your job is to make a fantastic remix using whatever tools are at your disposal.
There are a few simple rules:
1. You have until 30th April to complete your Remix and send it to me in MP3 form. There are no restrictions on style. The email address to send your entry is included with the download package. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT SEND: AIFF, WAV, or an uncompressed files!
2. You may add your own sound sources but please retain some of the originals or it’s not really a re-mix is it? You may chop, mangle, distress, sew, dilute, boil down amongst other treatments.
3. There will be one winner chosen by Leafcutter John and the winner will receive a very special prize, or a CD or something not too difficult to post. Winners will be announced as soon as possible after all the entries have been heard.
Depending on how many entries we get, we’ll try and put all the remixes up at leafcutterjohn.com
Because I’d like to see a lot of cool entries please spread the word far and wide, if you’d like to add the flyer just paste the following code into your website. As Dan has correctly pointed out the following code will only work of you re-type all the inverted commas – sorry can’t sort this out right now.
<a href=”http://leafcutterjohn.com/?p=757? ><img src=”http://leafcutterjohn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lrm.jpg” width=”450″ height=”258″ alt=”remix” /></a>
I did a project like this years ago and the response was amazing – get going you have just over a month!
Best of luck,
Click below to hear the original, also read why I made this song.
kindly sponsored by: Highpoint Lowlife Records
First remix is in! 11 hours after posting the stems!
Kendal Mintcake mix…
Rotted Karma Mix
A Black Mountain Re-Installation Mix
Hecanjog loves cvj mix
Becoming Animal Mix
Sunken Foal Mix – Check out his beautiful new LP on Planet-Mu!!!
Winter Garden Mix – Keith Jafrate – (Orfeo 5)
Scatter Tape Mix
Paul Heslin Afraid of Water Mix
W Sleep Mix
Fabio Keiner Mix
Lone Rodger 2D Mix
The Hardy Tree Mix
Kid Ataris Linear Edit
Andrew Kaluzynski Mix
Escalation746 Iris Mix
throuRoof - see her eyes in a dream hypnagogic Mix.
The Shanster - strained pu pills mix
United Digital Analog Community - UDAC sneaker mix
Aka Ieva Mix
Aaron Harbour Mix
Ctalo Ytpo Mix
Berk Offset Stormy Walzcutter Mix
ASCDI’s Diptych Mix
The Machinist Mix
Zorba Le Break Mix
I’ve had several inquires about where people can find the remix files – well they don’t exist yet I’m afraid. I was planning on making the next micro-song available for remix but I have not had change to make a micro-song yet as I’ve been a bit busy on other projects lately (like the the never-ending rent payment project). Sorry about the delay, but it’s nice to know you are generally into the idea.
One of the things I did last week was to make a myspace site for my duo project with Seb Rochford. We are called NAILS and you can visit, listen & befriend us right HERE! There will be more music up when we have had chance to do more edits….
UPDATE – Server space has now been kindly donated by Thorsten at highpointlowlife.com Many thanks to him and all that offered assistance!
I’ve been thinking about the suggestion that I should make the stems of the next Micro-Song available for download so you can all have a go at doing a re-mix. This would be great but I think that it will eat up all my bandwidth – SO….
Do you have any spare server space to host the stems and subsequent remixes?
If you do please contact me or leave a comment. If no body volunteers in the next week or so I’ll make the stems available via yousendit.com on a first come first served basis.
All the best,
It’s amazing how fast things can move sometimes. Within hours of posting my first micro-song I received an email from Bluermutt in which he commented that he’d never seen a remix of one of my tunes, which is true. I sent Geo the stems and a week or so later he sent me this little beauty.
I hope you enjoy his interpretation the original is below if you have not heard it.
@tassosstevens its 132 kingsland road!
I like how Gilbert & George use the bus. Dont forget to come to music hackspace tonight peeps!
Thursday May 23rd @ Troyganic Café, 132 Kingsland Road, LONDON, E2 8DY, read it here: http://t.co/NrI2VTmcAZ
Playing free show tonight @ Music Hackspace with Blanca Regina. Troyganic Café FREE 132 Kingsland Road E2 8DY http://t.co/4QjnHssgoW
- Thursday May 23rd @ Troyganic Café, 132 Kingsland Road, LONDON, E2 8DY
- Vietnam Day 3 Field recording with Richard Eigner and Workshop with Vietnamese Musicians
- Hanoi Score workshop and Scooter ride including Vietnam’s most controversial Fruit! (Day 2)
- Arrived in Hanoi! (Day 1)
- I’ll be playing in Vietnam, Norway, and Germany This month.
- Building Things
- feather study
- field recording
- Graphic Scores
- Live Shows
- Polar Bear
- Site News
- Software News
- The Making of the 5th Leafcutter Album
- Things Thought
- video tutorial
- Weekly DIY Music Thing
- Aleisha on Vietnam Day 3 Field recording with Richard Eigner and Workshop with Vietnamese Musicians
- armorgames.com on Vietnam Day 3 Field recording with Richard Eigner and Workshop with Vietnamese Musicians
- CDY on Acoustic Guitar – Completed Instrument
- Philip McHugh on Acoustic Guitar – Neck and Fretboard construction
- Carl on Why don’t DAWs let you do this?